DEEP DIVE: SECURING YOUR GALERA CLUSTERS
The Securing Your Galera Clusters Deep Dive training course teaches you everything you need to know about ensuring your data in a Galera Cluster is secure at rest and in motion. You will participate in interactive hands-on labs and there will be expert instructor demonstrations throughout the entire course. This course covers Galera Cluster for MySQL (from Codership), Percona XtraDB Cluster (PXC) and MariaDB Galera Cluster.
This is an intermediate course, so you should already know how to install Galera Cluster and do some basic maintenance.
- 1 day
- The breakdown is 3 hours, with a half hour lunch break, and another 3 hours, giving you a total of 6 contact hours.
EMEA: 7th of December 2021
USA: 8th of December 2021
- You need to be able to use Zoom the platform we will be using
- You will need to have access to an SSH client. Being in a Microsoft Windows environment is OK, but you need to have SSH to access up to 3 remote servers.
- Some basic understanding of Linux (e.g. package management) as well as MySQL.
- Database administrators (DBAs)
- MySQL DBAs who want to delve into Galera Cluster administration
- Systems administrators with database management responsibilities
- DevOps professionals who need to manage the database
- An overview of why you should focus on securing your Galera Cluster, from data at rest encryption, to data in motion encryption. There is also a focus on Galera Cluster particularly as it involves State Snapshot Transfers (SSTs). This overview also covers configuration of OS-level firewalls as well as SELinux and AppArmor.
- Installing Galera Cluster for MySQL and configuring it securely (HOL). This includes covering the SSL options, as well as the SST options, including CLONE SST (only available in Galera Cluster). It also covers encrypting the data at rest.
- Installing Percona XtraDB Cluster (PXC) and configuring it securely (HOL). Understanding what the strict mode that Percona implements by default, how to use XtraBackup securely for SST, and how to use data at rest encryption with the Vault plugin.
- Installing MariaDB Galera Cluster and configuring it securely (HOL). Understanding how to utilise the additional MariaDB Server features, including encrypting the GCache in MariaDB Enterprise. For this exercise, we will use Mariabackup (HOL) as opposed to the other options available.
- Managing MySQL (and MariaDB Server) securely, from users, to external authentication options.
The entire course will be useful and hands on for all, because there are differences you will learn with Percona XtraDB Cluster (PXC) and MariaDB Galera Cluster. There will also be worksheets provided as well as slides.
The cost of training is 825 €/950 USD for 1 day.