Public course: EMEA timezone 26th of September. USA timezone 27th of September.
Company dedicated training or consulting session, request for dates for your company via email to: email@example.com
1 day. The breakdown is 3 hours, with a half hour lunch break, and another 3 hours per day. There will be bio-breaks. The total contact time with the trainer is 6 hours over a span of 1 day.
- You need to be able to use Zoom the platform we will be using
- You will need to have access to an SSH client. Being in a Microsoft Windows environment is OK, but you need to have SSH to access the remote servers that we provide you access to.
- Some basic understanding of Linux (e.g. package management) as well as MySQL
- Intermediate database administrators (DBAs)
- MySQL DBAs who want to delve into Galera Cluster administration
- Systems administrators with database management responsibilities
- DevOps professionals who need to manage the database
Note that Hands On Labs are denoted with HOL. All participants will be given remote VMs.
- Install Galera Cluster with MySQL 5.7 and load data into it (while the course material will cover upgrading from MySQL 5.5 and 5.6, the HOL will start with MySQL 5.7)
- Understand the changes in MySQL 8 and what might trip up your application (we will discuss character sets and collations, authentication changes, reserved words, SQL modes, data types, removed features, default changes, how minor version upgrades are one-way, and so on).
- Understand the changes in Galera 4 and why MySQL 8 works better with it, thus improving your performance and reliability
- The necessary checklist to successfully plan and execute a major upgrade, preferably with no downtime. We will discuss in-place upgrades, as well as migrating to newer hardware at the same time.
- Configure a proxy (GLB, ProxySQL – HOL) if this is the chosen way
- Test an upgrade (HOL)
- Upgrade your Galera Cluster to MySQL 8 (HOL)
- How and why does this differ from Percona XtraDB Cluster (PXC) and MariaDB Server? (HOL – homework; there will be an instructor-led demonstration). It is important to remember that Percona XtraDB Cluster (PXC) has enabled strict mode, traffic encryption, and more.
- Can you upgrade from 5.5 to 8.0 directly, or must minor versions be upgraded? What about in the MariaDB Server world?
Public course: 990 € per person
Company training course or consulting: request for prices for your company via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org